Tuesday 25 January 2011

Dear Gran...

I thougth we had a bit more time.  I thought you were the comeback kid and that this would floor you for a bit but with a bit of TLC you'd be back to you again. 
I should have known in September when you said how you werent looking forward to this winter that you were fed up & tired, worn out. 

You said you wanted to go, but selfishly I wanted you to stay. 

I regret not seeing you the night before you died, I was supposed to pop in to say goodnight but after bath time & bed routines I was tired and it was late.  There's not a night or day that goes by that I dont regret that decision.

Im sorry to have let you down, the one person in my life who would/could never have let me down.

Do you remember a couple of days before you died I gave you a kiss on the forehead and told you I  love you, you smiled told me you loved me too and I said I wish I could take you home with me again?  You gave me a smile & you sighed?  What would have happened if I had taken you home?  You got well last time you came home to us, you went from being a mouse with no strength to you & able to stand again.  Would you have gotten better? 

Ack I wish I had the answers & a time machine. 

I wish I did hand on heart believe you are somewhere...watching down on us.  I light your candle every night just in case you are here with us.  It gives me comfort to have something real, a task to do. 

Of course life goes on, it's still so soon since you went.  Of course we were so very lucky to have had you for such a long time.  Of course we are so much luckier than some.

But you know what?  I still miss you so very, very much. 

Thank you for everything, the obvious things, the food parcels that you gave me when I left home so young.  The slipped fivers that appeared in my bag or kitchen drawer when you'd visit. 
Then there are the not so obvious things.  Even when you didnt agree with my choice you would stand by my side offering total support.  The advice you gave was solid, even if you couldnt help you would listen be the peacemaker, the voice of reason.

You lived your life.  Sounds obvious but you really did live life, you didnt let it pass you by.  You were honest, courageous, steadfast, loyal, loving, supportive, decent, fair and so many other things.

It's hardly suprising I miss you so...you leave a mighty gap in our lives. 
I'm thankful you are no longer in pain, that when I came to see you, you were still so warm & toasty and you really did look so 'at peace'. 
Im thankful for the chance I had to give you one last hug.  The hug I'd wanted to give you for many years but just couldnt because hugs hurt.

It's hard to not be sad, I do try to remember you with laughter...to think of you with a G&T in your hand, a naughty smile on your face and a betting slitp in your purse.

I miss you Gran, I love you and I am forever grateful to have been loved by you.

xxxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. oh sis this is beautiful, I share the regret for having skipped that 1 last day, stupid snow starting falling as I left Benson and I was terrified of being out on the roads, decided Gran would understand so headed straight home, I know she would probably have worried herself silly as well! but at 2 in the morning I am awake, thinking about and missing Granny so much it really does hurt inside, and I am so angry right now that the home never let us know that they'd called the Dr out that day, its not about shifting blame either just can't begin to think why no one reached out to say 'best get here' and like you its killing me inside that as much Granny knew how much we loved her, in the end her last breaths were taken alone without US being their for her just like we had always been.. why this 1 time. I love you sis - stay strong xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-( sorry to hear about your Nan leaving you. You could not have known she would leave that night so do not regret that you didn't go and see her, by the sounds of it she knew you loved her with all your heart and shed loved you too, precious moments! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by...I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking the time.
I am sorry about having to ask you to prove you're not a robot but for some reason I am having a LOT of spam nowadays {and we're not talking fritters!}
Nicky
x